Bidding Questions Advice
The lowest bid can be very expensive.
There’s nothing wrong with choosing the lowest bidder. However, the cost structures for all roofing companies in this area are very similar, so an unusually low bid should be a red flag.
Some companies will complete the work, but cut corners to make a profit. Examples include using inexperienced workers, leaving the old felt paper on your roof, or selling you a high quality shingle but installing a cheaper grade. A common problem we’ve seen is the improper use of flashings, reusing old flashings or not using them at all.
To protect yourself, conduct a little due diligence using methods we outlined below. Also, look to see if your roofing company is a member of any regional or national industry associations. Being a member of an industry association demonstrates a commitment to professionalism.
Driftwood Builders Roofing won’t always be the lowest bidder. We have high standards of quality and professionalism, and we will not consider a project that we wouldn’t want to attach our name to.
Questions to ask:
- Are you fully licensed and insured?
- Do you have a copy of the documents verifying that you are licensed and insured?
- Are you a member of the Better Business Bureau?
- Do you have a list of references?
- Will you remove my old shingles before installing the new roofing system?
- How many nails are used per shingle?
- Have you replaced any roof in my area in town?
- Are you a Master Elite contractor?
- How long have you been in business?
- What brand of shingles do you use?
- Will you install drip edge?
- Will you remove the old felt?
- Will you replace any bad decking?
- How many days to complete my roof?
At Driftwood Builders we believe in open and honest communication.
Therefore, our answers to these questions are as follows:
- Yes, we are insured. Presently, the state of Texas does not require licensing for roofing contractors (although we would like to see that happen).
- Please ask your estimator for a copy of our General Liability Insurance OR feel free to contact us and we will send it to you via email.
- Yes. Accredited member of the Better Business Bureau.
- References are made available upon request. Please refer to our reviews on Guild Quality, Yelp, Angie’s List and the Better Business Bureau.
- Yes. We always remove old shingles.
- We use six nails per shingle. Note: most roofing companies use three or four.
- In the Austin area chances are very good we have replaced a roof in your area. We’ll be happy to provide addresses.
- Yes, We are GAF Master Elite. Only 3% of all contractors have earned this designation.
- In business since 2005.
- GAF is our preferred brand due to quality.
- If the insurance company pays for drip edge as part of the claim. Otherwise, it will be offered as an upgrade.
- Yes. Our crews remove the old felt so that we can see if there are any issues with the decking that need to be addressed. This may seem like a small issue, but unless you remove the old felt paper you cannot see what condition the decking is in and without a good deck in place it is impossible to have a good roof. Our competitors typically do not remove the old felt paper.
- We replace bad decking as needed. Note: there may be a fee associated.
- Most roofs are completed in 1 to 2 days.