Have you considered bringing solar power to your Austin home? Do you wonder if it’s a good option for your home when it’s installed on your roof? Solar panels are a great way to offset energy costs. Plus, we get plenty of sun here in Austin. Let’s review 5 things you should consider before installing solar panels on your roof.
5 Things to Consider Before Installing Solar Panels On Your Roof
1. The Pitch or Angle of Your Roof. You’ll want to capture all the rays you can to supply your house with the greatest amount of energy from the sun, so make sure your roof, or the placement you can designate for your panels on top of your roof, lines up well with the direction of the sun. The solar panels will still receive some form of light if your roof space is facing north or shaded, but it might not be adequate for the needs you’d like from solar power. Also know that if you have a flat roof, you will require frames to position your panels properly.
2. The Condition of Your Roof. Roofing shingles will need to be replaced at some point, so if your roof is older, you might want to consider having a new roof installed before moving into the solar direction. If your roof is early in its life or in otherwise great condition, know that the age of your roof and the age of the solar panels won’t align. Just something to think about and be prepared for when you are moving forward with solar panels.
3. Home Location. Is your home in a location where you aren’t blocked by other homes, buildings, or trees that will prevent the rooftop solar panels from receiving enough sun to make the collection of sunlight worth the project or investment? On a different note, if you find solar power is a good value for your home and energy needs, look into credits or discounts you can apply for depending on the size or format of your solar panels. Your home might be located in a community where credits or discounts are offered.
4. Style of Roof. Most styles of roofing shingles and tiles can now accept solar panel installations. However, it might require a certain type so it’s best to review all your options with a solar specialist and a roofing specialist before making the decision to add solar panels to your home.
5. The Look of Solar Panels. You might think the idea of providing some of your own power and the benefit to the environment can be tremendous, but you should still think about the look of the solar panels for your home’s appearance and the neighborhood. If you have any HOA concerns, they will also need to be discussed and may need to be approved prior to moving forward with your solar panel installation.
Solar Energy For Your Austin Home
Solar energy can be a positive and helpful option to lower the carbon footprint of a home. But, it’s important to review all of these considerations listed before you get on board. The solar power system that’s installed will be a part of your home and connected to your roof for many years to come. The panels or system might need repairs or maintenance and that means people might need to be on your roof as well.
Make sure to discuss your options and the direction you want to go in with your solar panels, with your trusted Austin-area roofing company.
Your Trusted Austin Area Roofing Experts
We strive to bring you the best in roofing for the Austin, Texas area. We deliver decades of roofing experience, training, and knowledge in this area’s needs. We are a prominent roofing company in this area, and we will not ask for a deposit on labor or materials as a dependable way to stand out from the competition. Learn more about us here.
When we inspect, install, or repair your roof, we want to provide you with the best options. We are Master Elite Contractors, bringing you the latest in roofing technology, and a member of our local area Better Business Bureau, so you know we take pride in our work and our community. Contact us by phone or email to schedule your FREE roofing inspection and quote today.