Skylights can be a great addition to your home. Getting more natural light in an otherwise dark area inside your house can be a pleasant way to increase the enjoyment of your space. There are many things to think about when you are considering adding skylights or skylight tubes to your roof. Let’s point out what you need to know before installing a skylight on your roof.
What You Need to Know Before Installing a Skylight on your Roof
- Roof Inspection – Your skylights should be installed on a healthy roof. If you have a damaged roof or your roof is older, you may want to wait until you have a new roof installed before adding skylights to your home.
- Roof Type – Not all roofs are well-suited for skylights or tubes. For example, are the trusses spaced appropriately for the skylight? Cutting your roof rafters or trusses could be unsafe. When you have a roof inspection, get your roofer’s insights into whether your roof will accommodate this type of product.
- Roof Style – Angled roofs are a better option for skylight configurations. This will allow water to run off the roof and away from your skylight or tube. Water will have less chance to puddle around your skylight and cause ice dams. Also, keep in mind that standing water can damage the glass or framing materials over time.
- Roof Direction – Consider where on your roof would be best for your skylight or tubes to be placed, and how that aligns with the rooms in your home that you’d like to have more natural light. Southern installation could actually make your room too hot. At the same time, too many trees or other homes blocking your light could be a deterrent to the location you’d most prefer for the installation.
- Existing Roof Install – If you have an existing roof in good condition and ready for skylights, there may be some repairs and replacement of roofing sections and materials due to the installation. Framing, shingles, flashing, and sealing will all need professional attention.
Do Roofers Install Skylights?
Many times your roofer will be able to prepare your roof for the skylight or tube installation to happen. Most skylights are then installed by professional skylight or light tube installation experts. They are familiar with the product and have had certified training to get the job done well and to meet the codes of your location. Discuss the process with both professions to confirm the way they carry out this type of installation.
Modifying a Truss for Skylight Installation?
A truss is an incredibly valuable part of your roofing system. They have been specially engineered and placed properly for your home and roof. It is always advised not to cut or modify a roofing truss. Modifying a truss to place a new skylight in your home would be an expensive remodeling project. Finding the right skylight or using a light tube to fit in-between your roofing trusses is an advisable option.
Your Local Austin Area Roofing Professionals
We strive to bring you the best in roofing for the Austin, Texas area. We deliver decades of roofing experience, training, and knowledge in this area’s needs. We are a prominent roofing company in residential roof repair and roof replacement. We will not ask for a deposit on labor or materials as a dependable way to stand out from the competition while bringing you the best product and service in Austin.
When we inspect, install, or repair your roof, we want to provide you with the best options for your roof design, components, and ventilation. We are Master Elite Contractors bringing you the latest in roofing technology, and a member of our local area Better Business Bureau, so you know we take pride in our work and our community.
Contact us by phone or email to schedule your FREE roofing inspection and quote today.