Ever wonder if you could skip hiring a roofing company and put a new roof on your home all by yourself? You might be enticed by the thought of saving some money if you installed your own roof. We’ve had this question from homeowners before, so we want to talk further about DIY roof replacement vs. professional roofing replacement.
Comparing DIY Roof Replacement to Professional Roofing Replacement
When it comes down to the parts of a roof, it’s basically wood, nails, adhesives, underlayment, shingles, metal flashing, and ventilation systems. These are all items you could order from or buy at your local hardware or roofing materials store. You figure you’ll also need some tools like hammers, pry bars, ladders, knee guards, and a dumpster. Having a helper or two (who aren’t afraid of heights) would make the job easier as well.
If you have never installed a new roof, you would also need to learn how. Your roof has a big, important job after all…protecting everything that’s inside of it, including you and your family. You would need to watch several instructional videos while also learning about all the roofing materials you’ll be using, how to choose the right ones for your home, and proper installation techniques. There’s always the big question of what you might find once you start taking off the current shingles…and then how to remedy that by yourself.
Roof Installation Process
Installing a new roof is a large job for any size of home. If you think about it, it can take a team of seasoned roofing installers a couple of days to a week to complete a roof installation, depending on the size of the crew and the roof itself. There are several steps beyond the tearing off and replacing of new shingles, too. Tasks like:
- Preparing your roof installation timeline, including delivery of materials, weather, and the need for tarps.
- Properly assessing the current state of your roof and any current weak spots of pitfalls. If you intend to complete the re-roof job yourself, it’s not very likely you have the trained eye and knowledge that’s needed to adequately assess your roof’s condition.
- Calculating the correct amount of each type of roofing material is another job that’s very difficult for someone who has never replaced a roof before. Too much of a roofing material is wasted money, and too little can majorly delay the completion of your roof replacement project.
- Do you need a permit or HOA approval? If so, do you know how to get those? You’ll be responsible for following neighborhood HOA rules or local building codes.
- The tear down process is often when problems are discovered, or the full extent of known damage is uncovered. Do you have the knowledge and skills required to determine what and how to correct things like damaged and weakened underlayment? Can you identify signs of poor ventilation and then correct them?
How Much Will I Save if I Replace my Roof Myself?
The reality is that putting a new roof on your home is a large job that requires extensive knowledge about and experience with many things: building codes, installation procedures, product knowledge, proper measurements, placement, material quality, timing, assessing and correcting damage, and so much more. It’s a big project that takes many hours for people who are seasoned in the roofing industry.
So, will you save money by putting on your own roof? We just don’t think so. Plus, a novice roof installation could end up costing much, much more money in the long run due to poor installation, incorrect materials used, and not correctly identifying and remedying leaks.
Honestly, when you compare a DIY roof replacement vs. professional roofing replacement, it’s clear that it’s best to have a professional roofing team install your new roof. Look for an Austin roofing company that is trained, knowledgeable, and competent. A roofing company that has been around for a long time can prove their stability within their community.
Ask around for referrals and do some research before you choose someone you can trust. We think you’ll be very glad you did when you are sitting inside your safe, dry home, enjoying a movie on a chilly, wet night instead of crossing your fingers you don’t notice any more water spots crop up on your ceiling after the storm passes through.
Your Local Austin Area Roofing Professionals
We strive to bring you the best in roofing for the Austin, Texas area. We deliver decades of roofing experience, training, and knowledge in this area’s needs. We are a prominent roofing company in residential roof repair and roof replacement. We will not ask for a deposit on labor or materials as a dependable way to stand out from the competition while bringing you the best product and service in Austin.
When we inspect, install, or repair your roof, we want to provide you with the best options for your roof design, components, and ventilation. We are Master Elite Contractors bringing you the latest in roofing technology, and a member of our local area Better Business Bureau, so you know we take pride in our work and our community.
Contact us by phone or email to schedule your FREE roofing inspection and quote today.