It’s one of the great homeowner questions: Do we need a new roof? How do we know if we do? There are a number of signs you can look into and investigate to determine if it’s likely you need a new roof. To be safe, it’s always advisable to have a professional roofer come and inspect your roof and attic area. Consider using this list below when you review your roof, gutters, trim, and facia around your home. An hour of your time can prove productive and advantageous in the health of your roof and your home. Addressing issues that come up in a timely fashion may extend the life of your roof with some repairs alone. But, it just might be time to remove the entire roof from your home and secure it with a brand new one. Here are 5 reasons you may need a new roof.
5 Reasons You May Need a New Roof
- Roof Age. One of the main reasons a home’s roof will need to be replaced is the wear it has seen over many years. If your roof is about 10 years old, you will want to start reviewing it yearly to make sure you catch any of the old age signs of wear, weathering, cracking, and loose and missing shingles. A typical roof can last anywhere from 18-20 years depending on the type of shingles that were installed and the wear it gets from the elements it’s intended to protect your home from.
- Cracking, Wearing or Missing Seams. If you find areas around your chimney, skylights, or roof vents are in need of new flashing, this might be a sign you are in need of a new roof. Weather, age, and sun can all contribute to the break down of these seam areas in your roof. These joints where your flashing and roofing come together are key places where moisture can creep into your wood decking underneath and quickly come into your attic area.
- Roof Rot and Sag. Roofs consist of a solid wood platform, a moisture resistance leak barrier, and your shingles and flashing. If your roof is rotting from poor moisture mitigation and you see sagging or mold issues develop, you are probably in need of a new roof. This can be a critical time to replace this roof for health and safety reasons.
- Shingle Appearance. If your shingles are looking shabby and are cracked, damaged, bending, turning up on the edges, or have holes or dents, you should have your roof looked at. If there are just a few showing this sort of roof shingle wear, you might just need some repairs. Damaged shingles could also mean damage has occurred from weather or that age has set in and it’s time for a new roof. If you have asphalt composite shingles and you notice a lot of the granules have come off and are around the side of your house or in your gutters, this can be a sign to have your roof looked at as well.
- Roof Leaking. You’ll want to give your attic a good review to see if you notice any leaking of air or water. If you see light coming through any small holes in your attic, that is a big problem. If you see signs of dark water staining on the wood areas of your attic, it’s a clear sign you need some help with your roof. You might have been prompted to go up on your roof because you saw some water stains on your ceilings below. These are all serious problems and your roof should be inspected and probably replaced soon.
If you recently had a hail or bad wind storm, you’ll want to take some time and make sure it’s still looking good. If you notice signs that your roof is showing age, or damage and wear, make sure to call a professional roofer to give it a thorough inspection. They will be able to examine your roof more extensively and give you a qualified analysis of whether you need a new roof or roof repairs.
When You Need Your Roof Inspected
As your Austin, Texas area roofing company with decades of experience, training, and knowledge, we strive to get every job right! Call us for an inspection! As a local reputable roofing company in good standing with our customers, we will not ask for a deposit on labor or materials. This is one way we stand out from our competition.
We’d love to come out and review your roofing needs with you and give you an idea of what your project will require. We are Master Elite Contractors and a member of our local area Better Business Bureau, so you know we take pride in our work and our community. Contact us by phone or email to schedule your FREE roofing inspection and quote.