Spring is in the air and that means it’s time to make sure your roof is ready for the warmer weather, too. There are a number of seasonal chores happening around the house right now, and you’ll want to add your roof to your To Do list. Here are five ways to get your roof ready for spring.
5 Ways to Get Your Roof Ready for Spring
Your roof has been through months in a row with chilly temperatures, moisture that can work its way into cracks and gaps, and storms that have beaten on the surface of the roof. Spring is the perfect time to make sure your roof stood up to all of this abuse and is ready for the warmer spring and summer temperatures ahead.
- Roof Damage From Storms. The first thing you want to do is give your roof a thorough review. If you feel comfortable getting on a ladder and climbing up to your roof and walking around safely, you can look over your roof for any damage it might have encountered during the wintertime. You will want to search for any cracking, tearing, dented, or missing shingles on your roof. If you see areas that are missing the grit that is applied to shingles, gaps, or holes in your roof structure, you will need to have this addressed as soon as you can. These problems could lead to leaking and damage inside your home.
- Roof and Gutter Debris. While you are inspecting your roof, give your gutters a review and check for missing paint, dents or cracks, and debris build-up. Yard waste like leaves, seedpods, and dirt will collect in gutters over the fall and winter seasons, making spring a good time to have them cleaned. If you have build-up on your roof, it should be cleaned up as well. Especially if it lingers in corners of your roof. As leaves and other debris build up, rainwater can collect, pests may find new homes in the debris, and moisture can back up under your roofing.
- Attic Ceiling. Your attic can tell you a lot about how your roof system is holding up. If you can fit in your attic area and look around, you’ll be able to tell if you are having water coming into your attic and leaking through your roof. Signs could be damp or dark areas, mold, or other discoloration on the wood underlayment, around the venting or plumbing stacks, and on the areas surrounding chimneys.
- Read Up. We have many helpful articles you can read about roof inspections, reviewing your own roof, and what to look for when you are concerned your roof might have incurred damage from a storm or bad weather. Take a minute to review the content to get an idea of what you are looking for. Hail damage, for example, can be tricky to notice for homeowners.
- Professional Roof Inspection. Of course, this is our favorite suggestion. A free roofing inspection will give you the expert review you need to give you confidence about your roof’s safety and stability. A professional roofer will know how to pick out the subtleties of roof damage that most homeowners won’t know about. They are also trained and skilled in being safe on your home’s roof. If they notice anything atypical or unusual about your roof’s appearance or structure, they will point it out and write up a review for you with suggestions. Often, small damage can be quickly repaired. If your roofer feels it needs more attention and maybe a replacement, they can discover the roof replacement options with you and help you with your choices.
Spring Roof Checkup
Don’t be afraid to have your roof looked at once or twice a year to make sure it is in good shape. A reputable roofing company will give you the thumbs up when your roof looks like it is doing fine, or steer you towards experienced and dependable options if your roof needs any work to get it ready for the next season.
Your Local Austin Roofing Professionals
We strive to bring you the best in roofing for the Austin, Texas area. We deliver decades of roofing experience, training, and knowledge in this area’s needs. We are a prominent roofing company in residential roof repair and roof replacement. We will not ask for a deposit on labor or materials as a dependable way to stand out from the competition while bringing you the best product and service in Austin.
When we inspect, install, or repair your roof, we want to provide you with the best options for your roof design, components, and ventilation. We are Master Elite Contractors bringing you the latest in roofing technology, and a member of our local area Better Business Bureau, so you know we take pride in our work and our community.
Contact us by phone or email to schedule your FREE roofing inspection and quote today.