When the time comes that you need to hire a roofing contractor, how do you pick the best one for your needs? And what questions should you ask when hiring a roofing company so you know they are the right one for the job? It might be that you need to have your roof assessed following a recent hail storm or simply because you know your roof is old and needs replacement. Whatever the reason behind your call to your local Austin roofer, we have compiled a list of questions you should ask the roofing contractors you interview in order to make the best choice for you.
6 Questions to Ask when Hiring a Roofing Company
- Referrals. Has your roofer repaired or replaced a roof for someone else you know? If not, it’s ok to ask them for referrals. Reputable companies who are proud of their work will gladly present reviews and referrals from happy customers. You can ask these folks how the process went and what to expect from the roofing experience.
- Insurance. A general liability policy is a must for someone coming to your home to perform repairs or home service projects. Businesses completing these types of projects must carry general liability insurance in case something serious were to happen. It’s important to ask the roofers you interview if they carry this type of insurance, and they should provide proof of insurance if asked.
- Roofing Materials. You probably know to ask about the roofing materials used. But when you speak with a roofer, ask what manufacturer they prefer to use. Does the roofing material come with specialized surfaces or materials like hardware and decking? Are there specific warranties around these products and the labor involved from the roofer themselves? And, of course, ask about colors. It’s important that your roofer is using quality roofing supplies and they stick by their work.
- Timeline and Supervision. How long from when the roof materials are ordered until project completion, will the entire roofing project take? Will a supervisor be on site? How many people or trucks can be expected outside your home or in the street? Ask for some details about roofing supply delivery and the hours you can expect the roofers to be working on site. Also ask if you need to be home for them to complete the needed roof work.
- Contracts. Talk with your roofing contractors about their contract agreement procedures and if someone will be reviewing the paperwork with you. Inquire about deposits to the roofer and if they will work with your insurance company to process your claim. Will they provide communication with your insurance company or do you need to take care of that on your end? Will payments be in installments? Here at Driftwood Builder Roofings, we do not require a deposit and we pride ourselves on that. A reputable company in good standing will not ask for a deposit.
- Waste. There will be a lot of waste if your old roof will be removed. Review with the roofers how the job site will be kept clean. Will the roofers bring in a dumpster to handle the removal of the old roof? Do they put down tarps or sheeting to protect the yard and shrub areas around your home while the roofing job is taking place? Will they be diligent with the waste removal and collect all the debris when the work is complete? If the roofer is just doing repairs, ask if they will remove the trash and excess waste when they have finished the job or if you need to provide trash cans for this smaller type of job. A good roofer will keep your home and yard cleaned up.
Your New Roof
Getting a new roof is a big project! And, while it might be necessary to replace your roof quickly, you’ll be happy when it’s complete and improved. If you need repairs only on your existing roof, it’s still a good feeling knowing your home and family will be safe and protected from the elements.
Most roofing projects take only a couple of days and always look great afterward. Whether you pick a similar color to what you had before or go with a new look for your home, installing a new roof will bring beauty and refinement to your house. Take a little time at the beginning of the roofing process to find a well trusted roofing company and your experience will go smooth and simple throughout the project.
Call The Austin Roofing Professionals
As your Austin, Texas area roofing company with decades of experience, training and knowledge, we strive to get every job right! Call us for an estimate today! We’d love to come out and review your roofing needs with you and give you an idea of what your project will require. We are Master Elite Contractors and a member of our local area Better Business Bureau, so you know we take pride in our work and our community. Contact us by phone or email to schedule your free roofing inspection and quote.