A roof is engineered to be tough; it can take a beating from the elements. At the same time, all roofs will eventually become worn down or damaged, and problems will show up. As a homeowner, what should you look out for to better understand what can damage your roof?
What Can Damage your Roof?
Being exposed to weather and the environment 24 hours a day, 365 days a year is going to wear down just about anything. A roof will endure harsh weather and heat, and possibly develop issues with trees, bugs, or animals. A roofing system puts up with a lot over the years from many different irritants, all which can permanently damage it. For example:
- Wind Wind can be very detrimental to an asphalt shingle roof. As wind whips through a community at high speeds, it can catch shingles and tear them, or even rip them off. High winds can also send debris and nearby objects sailing into your roof. All of this can beat up a roof. If high winds last for a long period of time, they can be pretty destructive. And if a roof is already aging, the damage from wind can be more significant.
- Moisture In the form of rain or snow, moisture can wreak havoc on a roof structure. From buildup in rain gutters to sitting water forming pools to areas with existing roof damage…these are all opportunities for moisture to come into your home and cause more inside trouble. Providing good ventilation for your roof and tending to known roof damage while keeping your gutters clear can be instrumental in preventing moisture damage.
- Pests Insects, birds, and squirrels can all cause damage to a roof. Creating holes, burrowing for shelter, gnawing, and scratching can all pose a problem for your roof and attic. This kind of pest behavior can be a result of a bigger issue like termites, which act as a food source for other animals, or tree limbs that come near or on your house, creating an easy, direct pathway for critters and hiding places to call home.
- Age Your roof is going to age. And over time, a roof can have shingle failures, sealant problems, and develop overall wear. These factors can make other issues like those we listed above turn into larger problems. There is no fighting roof age, but maintaining it well and taking care of any smaller issues that come up can keep your roof in good condition longer.
- Hail This weather element is fierce and can be pretty destructive. When hail is large, it can destroy a roof in just one afternoon. A newer roof will fend off this type of weather concern better than an older roof. An annual roof inspection will point out hail damage best.
How Do You Prevent Roof Damage?
- Inspection Having a professional roof inspection from your favorite roofing company is often a complementary and thorough way to evaluate possible damage and then address it. Expert roofers have a keen sense and expertise around what is roof damage and what isn’t. Homeowners often only have a limited familiarity with the roof they have on their homes whereas a professional roofer sees several new and older roofs each week. Your local Austin roofing team will be well-acquainted with roofing issues.
- Repairing as soon as a problem arises Don’t neglect a roof. It’s definitely a part of a home that doesn’t get looked at very often, if ever. It’s easy to forget about it until a problem is plainly noticeable. But tackling a minor roof repair when it’s detected can keep the problem small and easily rectified.
Your Local Austin, TX Roofing Team
We strive to bring you the best in roofing for the Austin, Texas area. We deliver decades of roofing experience, training, and knowledge in this area’s needs. We are a prominent roofing company in residential roof repair and roof replacement. We will not ask for a deposit on labor or materials as a dependable way to stand out from the competition while bringing you the best product and service in Austin.
When we inspect, install, or repair your roof, we want to provide you with the best options for your roof design, components, and ventilation. We are Master Elite Contractors bringing you the latest in roofing technology, and a member of our local area Better Business Bureau, so you know we take pride in our work and our community.
Contact us by phone or email to schedule your FREE roofing inspection and quote today.