In need of a new roof, but unsure of what type of roofing material would best fit your home? There is a wide assortment of roofing materials to choose from, and we know it can be confusing. That’s why we are going to break down some differences between common roofing materials: asphalt shingles, composite shingles, and metal roofs.
Deciding Between Asphalt Shingles, Composite Shingles, and Metal Roofs
Six considerations when choosing the right roofing materials for your house.
- Color Options
- Neighborhood Styles
- Home Appearance
It’s important to review the pros and cons of all the roofing materials you are interested in to make the best choice for your new roof.
Asphalt Shingles vs. Composite Shingles
Asphalt shingles are a durable product made of a thin fiberglass mat, an asphalt coating, and reflective weather-resistant rock granules enclosed with a sealant or laminate. An asphalt shingle is superior to many other roofing materials for many reasons.
- Durable An asphalt shingle has been designed to last and withstand weather for many years. It can even endure temperatures from fire and heat in certain conditions.
- Variety Asphalt shingles come in a wide variety of color and style choices to make anyone’s home look great and match a neighborhood aesthetic.
- Economical Asphalt shingles will give you the best value for roofing material. They are less expensive to install and repair as well.
Composite shingles are a synthetically-designed roofing material. They can have a similar look to asphalt shingles, wood shakes, or stone tiles. However, unlike an asphalt shingle, composite shingles are even more durable and require less maintenance.
- No Granules A composite shingle is designed with a single layer to resist harsh weather conditions and is engineered to combat more wear and tear.
- Tough Composite shingles can tolerate more abuse from tough storms, repairs, and pests. They are engineered to resist tearing, breaking, and cracking over time.
- Long Lasting While an asphalt shingle will hold up over time, a composite shingle will last even longer. It will resist damage, water, and heat even more than an asphalt shingle
- Expensive A composite shingle roof system can be almost 3 or 4 times as much as an asphalt shingle roof.
Asphalt Shingles vs. Metal Roofs
A metal roof can be the perfect choice for many homes. Metal roofs offer some variety in styles and colors while providing a roofing material that is long-lasting and with low maintenance.
- Value A metal roof will last a long time. It is durable and holds up to all sorts of weather issues. It will be important to choose the right color of metal roofing so it will match even if the home’s color changes.
- Style The look is specific to the materials. Metal roofs are designed with a variety of attractive modern styles now and won’t give the appearance of a barn. Make sure your neighborhood HOA approves of metal roofs before scheduling your roof replacement.
- Cost A metal roof can be substantially more costly than an asphalt shingle roof. The initial costs can be extensive, and choosing this style can mean staying in the home a longer time in order to recoup your investment.
Your Local Austin, TX Roofing Professionals
We strive to bring you the best in roofing in Austin, Texas. We deliver decades of roofing experience, training, and knowledge in this area’s needs. We are a prominent roofing company in residential roof repair and roof replacement. We will not ask for a deposit on labor or materials as a dependable way to stand out from the competition while bringing you the best product and service in Austin.
When we inspect, install, or repair your roof, we want to provide you with the best options for your roof design, components, and ventilation. We are Master Elite Contractors bringing you the latest in roofing technology, and a member of our local area Better Business Bureau, so you know we take pride in our work and our community.
Contact us by phone or email to schedule your FREE roofing inspection and quote today.